Link

When I decided I wanted to make a cardigan for Myrtle I knew she would have to be fundamentally involved in all the choices we would make along the way about the finished product. I had a pattern in mind that she was easily persuaded to; the wee wildflower cardigan by Alana Dakos and she was keen I spun the wool for her. After spinning a skein of yarn from a Portland fleece I realised there was no way she would ever wear anything made from that. To be honest I wouldn’t want to wear it next to my skin either. It was course and itchy, quite like Shetland. It’ll probably be good and hardwearing for accessories, but definitely not something from which to make a cardigan.

So instead I bought some undyed merino in a fingering weight and together we dyed it. Myrtle is very clear on her colour preferences. They are quite different to mine. But I wasn’t going to be wearing this cardigan. So purple and pink it was. I tried a new method to get a variegated yarn this time, adding small amounts of pink and purple through the dyeing process to get a more subtly variegated yarn than I have achieved previously. I was quite pleased with the result, and more importantly so was Myrtle.

Which just left knitting it. The pattern was fun, and mostly straightforward. The pockets were interesting to make and make for a really pretty detail. I did end up making four sleeves though. Not sure whether there was an error in my gauge (I did swatch and the rest of the cardigan came out right so that was a bit odd) but each sleeve only took about a day so it wasn’t a big problem. On first try Myrtle didn’t seem very sure but she has since worn it loads. Happy all round.

She was initially quite a reluctant model..

photo (2)

But then started enjoying herself a bit more. Wow she’s looking grown all big.

photo (4)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *